Since I was a little girl, Africa has consumed me. It was strange as no one in my family had ever been to Africa, I didn’t know anyone who was from Africa or who had any other skin colour than white, I never learned about it in school or saw it on the news but I knew Africa existed and I was captivated. As I grew older, the calling to be in Africa strengthened and I began to pursue this passion. I headed there as a naïve 17-year-old, then a 19-year-old college student, and eventually resided there for 10 months as a 20-year-old short-term missionary. As I pondered where my life was going and what my next steps should be, nothing fit. I planned to do other things, but my ambition faded. I felt pressured by the standards of our society and what the “right” or “normal” life was. Eventually I broke down. That’s when God stepped in and reminded me of my great love for Africa. He has placed this immense passion for Africa in my heart so that I would pursue it for His Glory!
So finally I said, “Yes, God” to pursuing a life-long calling to Africa.
In April, I stepped foot onto a Word of Life compound just south of Mombasa. I was put there unexpectedly due to circumstances in my work. I did not know that these 3 weeks would open new doors for me. At the end of my time there, I decided to pursue becoming a part of this ministry. Word of Life is a worldwide youth ministry. They work in 56 countries around the world training, investing in and building up the next generation of youth. If you would like to learn more about their work you can visit www.wol.org
In January, I will be starting a short-term bible course offered by Word of Life in Nairobi. Once I have finished, I will move back to Mombasa and work with the team there for the rest of the year. I will be involved with their various bible clubs, youth camps, schools, outreaches, and concerts. I am also looking forward to creating more relationships with young girls and continuing the relationships that I made last year. I am beyond excited to be back in Kenya, to be a student, and to mingle amongst the people I love.
One thing God has put on my heart is to be more connected to people back home. I have found a passion for writing and telling stories of the people I meet, the things I experience and the ways God is working in lives across the world. I have created a blog (www.movingwithcompassion.blogspot.com) to keep you frequently updated with the happenings of my life in Kenya and will also be sending out my regular email updates.
But I need YOU! Would you please consider being a part of my support team? There are two ways you can support me.
1. Prayer/Encouragement – This time I will not have security issues so I am able receive/write emails more. Would you commit to praying for me? Or writing me an email of encouragement or a phone call every once in a while? If so would you send your email address and mailing address to email@example.com. If you would like to be a part of my prayer/encouragement team, could you start praying for the following items?
– All the pieces to be put into place before I leave in less than a month!
– My family as their daughter heads to Africa YET again
– God’s ultimate provision of everything I need
– My heart as I leave my family and friends, I become a student again, and I return to the nation and people I love.
– That my ministry in Kenya would continue to be fruitful, that I would be receptive to the lead of the Holy Spirit, and that God would work powerfully in and through me.
2. Financially- As the organization is a faith-based organization, I am required to raise my own support/salary. My budget for this trip will be 12,000CAD that includes my airfare, tuition, room and board, pocket money, immigration fees, and administration fees. If you feel led to financially support the ministry in Kenya, you can fill out the form at the bottom of the page and send your gift to the address listed. If you would like to make an online gift, you may call Elisabeth Dineen at 518-494-6360 (Schroon lake, NY) and she will be happy to set that up for you!
Thank you for being apart of this wonderful journey with me. My prayer is that you too would be blessed by what God is doing in lives of people across the world!
“But when He saw the multitudes,
He was moved with compassion for them,
because they were weary and scattered,
like sheep having no shepherd.”
I want to partner with the ministry of a Word of Life missionary. I would like my gift to benefit the ministry of Nikole MacGregor and the work in Launch. I understand that the use of my gift is subject to the discretion and control of Word of Life Fellowship, Inc. Donations will be acknowledged with a tax-deductible receipt.
____ I would like to pray faithfully for this ministry
____ I would like to make a special gift of $_____
____ would like to commit to make regular gifts
of $______ monthly.
City________ Province ________ Postal Code________
for office use: 0L0766
Please send this form along with your gift to:
Canada: Word of Life, RR8, Owen Sounds, ON, N4K 5W4
USA: Word of Life, PO Box 600, Schroon Lake, NY 12870
*Please make checks payable to Word of Life (NOT me)